Re: [exim] Rewrite Sender/From field based on Reply-To

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: W B Hacker
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Rewrite Sender/From field based on Reply-To
Ascaris Lepis wrote:
> Hello Exim-users,
>
> I am quite new to exim but I have been told that exim might be the
> right solution for my problem.
>
> I need to rewrite the Sender/From field of an outgoing Email based on
> the content of the Reply-To field.
>
> I need this because I am orginally sending Emails from a Software
> which does under certain circumstances not allow to be set the sender
> address at mail creation. I can only control the content of the
> reply-to field. So I want the Software to fill the reply-to-Field
> with the intended sender email-address and have exim put that
> email-address in the sender/from field in the email.
>
> Does anyone have an idea if this is possible and if yes can tell me
> how I can do it.
>
> I am thankful for any help in this case
>
> Dirk

Exim *can* do that, and does not in all cases even need you to create a
rewrite rule.

But if you are not yet using Exim, it is akin to installing a factory to
make thumbtacks because half of those in the box have the heads and
points on the wrong end.

;-)

You'll have to learn everything *else* about proper running of Exim to
get the rest of it right.

If your current MTA is not otherwise broken, consider turning the
'wrong' thumbtacks right-way 'round instead:

'man mail'

That executable, plus a bit of script and pipe / redirection gives you
the ability to send the output of the '..Software..' you mention through
a set of steps that can insure you are able to select the apparent
'From:', and in an MTA-agnostic manner, eg exim or whatever else is
already in-place.

Worth a look, though personally, I'd vote to fix the '..Software..'
rather than add a band-aid...

HTH,

Bill