Re: [exim] exim "top" utility

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Matthew Newton
To: Jethro R Binks
CC: exim-users, Kind
Betreff: Re: [exim] exim "top" utility
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 09:21:56PM +0000, Jethro R Binks wrote:
> I had a quick go, and yes it is certainly a handy util for getting a quick
> summary of stuff going on. I very quickly saw a couple of interesting
> patterns ... thanks Matthew!

Thanks all for your comments! I'm working on some fixes (and silly
RE typos ;-) ) that Hans mailed to me independently.

> A couple of things immediately strike me as useful developments: changing
> of colour if one of the values goes above some threshold or other; and an
> ability to press 'F' (say), and enter an pattern and 'focus' on it: so

I'm also currently working on keypress input, to allow this sort
of thing. It will soon hopefully be able to run without tail - I'm
adding select to enable it to watch multiple files.

> just for lines matching that pattern, fuller details are printed in real
> time like the source host, recipients, subjects, etc. This would be handy
> if you see something starting to clock up (maybe a particular sender
> address, or subject) to be able to instantly get a summary from within the
> tool.

That's similar to an idea that is on the list. The data structure
already contains extra information for each statistic (all
messages that made up the stat in the last 5 minutes, and at least
5 messages if it's been around longer than that, IIRC). The
difficult bit will be the curses handling to make it work...

I like the idea to match on a pattern. Will see how that goes.

It really needs some way of auto-detecting anomalies in the data,
so it can alert. That's going to be hard for me to work out as
anything to do with statistics makes my brain rapidly
disintegrate. If anyone has any hints they would be most
appreciated!

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4@???>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <ithelp@???>