Re: [exim] exim attachment handling

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: paul spandler
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] exim attachment handling
> I suspect you are, like most people, using exim without the accept_8bitmime
> option being set

You're quite right. We tested this straight away, but it made no
difference. Since then, the situation has improved somewhat.
Unfortunately, it seems there was a problem with the voracity of the
testing before I became aware of the problem. This has been
unhelpful...luckily I was able to carry out some more testing of my
own. Two tests were carried out late yesterday:

1. app server -> exim -> exchange mailbox

Message arrives at the client with pdf attachments intact. The fact
that exim does not cause any problems is in line with my expectations.
Given that it also relays the production application emails, I would
not have expected a problem anyway.

2. app server -> appliance -> exchange mailbox

Message arrives at the client as ascii garbage (i.e. the client is
unable to recognise the encoded content.) This is contrary to what I
was told before. Analysis of the garbage indicated some fun and games
with the dreaded corporate disclaimer that the appliance appended to
the message. Naturally, the exim relay does not append a disclaimer
because this is a function of the upstream appliance.

A colleague has configured the appliance *not* to append the
disclaimer and test emails were delivered successfully (with the
attachments intact.) The vendor has since agreed to record this as a
bug.

My thanks to all that replied.