[pcre-dev] *+ vs * and depth of recursion

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Ralf Junker
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: pcre-dev
Αντικείμενο: [pcre-dev] *+ vs * and depth of recursion
Hello,

a user of my applicatio has pointed out that the following pattern may fail due to excessive use of recursion on Windows, where the default stack space is much smaller than on Unix:

This pattern, however, uses far less stack while it appears to do the same thing:

The user argued that both intents are consistent and that PCRE should treat the *+ in the 1st pattern as just * like in the 2nd pattern and thus limit its depth of recursion and use of stack space.

Would this be something feasable?

Ralf

PS: I know about how to limit PCRE's recursion depths, but the question directs avoiding its use if possible so that no limitations are necessary in the first place.