Re: [exim] ratelimit is counting wrong

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Marten Lehmann
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] ratelimit is counting wrong
Hello,

>> Why does exim calculate something instead of using my specified values?
>
> It is using your values, but you seem to misunderstanding rate (or I am
> .. someone smarter than me will point it out if I am wrong). A rate is a
> X per Y, but if you don't have a period of Y you have to divide both
> parts by Z to get to the fraction of Y worth of data you have available.

no, why should one have to divide something? If your doctor says, that
you must not eat more an 6 eggs a day, then he doesn't mean, that you
must not eat 0,25 eggs per hour, but he means, that you can 3 in the
morning and 3 in the evening, or even 6 in the morning and no eggs in
the evening. So why does exim trying to "help" me and calculate something?

> Let's take your example: 600/hour
> There are 3600 second in an hour, and you want to look at 30 seconds
> 600     * 30
> ----           == 5 emails allowed in 30 seconds.

When you are about the reduce the fraction, then why don't you reduce to
1 email allowed in 6 seconds?

Actually, I didn't set a period of only a few seconds, because I didn't
want to restrict the rate too much. I really want to users to be able to
send for example 600 emails in one hour. They surely shall be able to
exceed the calculated rate of 1 email per 6 seconds, and they shall be
able to send 600 emails in the first second of an hour, but they shall
not be able to send more than 600 emails per hour, thus after the first
second, they wouldn't be able to send any email within the remaining
3599 seconds of the hour. How can I configure this? The documentation of
the strict-option doesn't sound very satisfying.

Kind regards
Marten