Re: [exim] Failed to read delivery status

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Chris Zimmerman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Failed to read delivery status
On 2008-09-30 at 19:00 -0400, Chris Zimmerman wrote:
[ delivery subprocesses failing ]
> Has anyone any thoughts on this at all? I'm not sure where to proceed.

I've just managed to replicate your problem. I'm not sure that it will
help you though, as in my case it was an example of PEBKAC.

Rebuilding my colo box, second attempt (don't ask) I managed to mess up
the mount options on my devices. Uhm, I'd had less than 2 hours sleep
after a week of short sleep, but my cognac-bribed local hands-on was
there so ... I ended up putting the mount options for /var on /usr.

Having /usr mounted nosuid is Not A Good Plan.

In particular, when Exim comes to re-exec itself it fails, despite being
setuid. During the first attempt, it was running as exim before trying
to regain privileges. During the queue-run, it hasn't dropped
privileges so doesn't need to try to regain them.

Any chance that the problem you're seeing might have a similar cause,
such as lack of setuid bit on the binary or obnoxious mount options?

-Phil