Re: [exim] how do I block mail to local domains except SMTP …

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] how do I block mail to local domains except SMTP auth or trusted source?
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:41:45 +0300, "Mike Barnard"
<mike.barnardq@???> wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Exim List <eximlist@???> wrote:
>> We have a machine with several domains. The MX record for these domains
>> is pointed to a spam filter appliance.
>>
>> Alas, spammers don't play fair. They choose to connect directly to the
>> IP address(es) of the domains on the box and still send their spam that
>> way.
>
>you lost me there.... if the the MX records are the spam filter
>appliances... how did they get the IP addresses of the actual smtp
>servers...

Most probably, the spam filter appliances are new and the MX records
used to point to the actual SMTP servers. Some Spamware comes with a
list of IP addresses to deliver to and doesn't care about MX records
to speed up delivery, so their data base might be outdated, which is
an advantage for the Spammer in the OP's case.

Greetings
Marc