Re: [exim] Looking to Create and Addtional Header Record to …

Inizio della pagina
Autore: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Looking to Create and Addtional Header Record to Solve AOL Redaction Problems
Lloyd Tennison wrote:
> The problem is with AOL's new policy for their feedback loop program that
> took effect September 1st. For the last several years of the program, if
> someone reported an email as SPAM, AOL sent a copy of that email, complete
> with headers, with the AOL member's address that reported the email as
> SPAM.
>
> Now, they redact that email address. They redact the username. They redact
> anything they think could be the username. (Including mailing list headers
> like Mailman - with full VERP.)

On the face of it, it seems to be a prudent move on AOL's part toward
reducing the chance the 'whistleblower' is retaliated against.

Not an unreasonable choice.

> This makes it more difficult to remove
> people who decided they no longer wanted to receive the email and were too
> lazy to unsubscribe.

Not sure that is relevant.

If a list was genuinely of-interest, and opt-in, and remains well-run,
it should be less hassle to a user to unsubscribe than to file a spam
report.

> Many other ISP's offer similar services, (Microsoft/Hotmail/MSN, Comcast,
> Excite, Road Runner, etc.) but they include the full headers unredacted,
> just as AOL did for years. The feedback loop is a requirement of being
> whitelisted with AOL - so it is a necessary and valuable tool - at least it
> was. Now to use it one must search exim_mainlog for the id of the email
> that was sent to the AOL member.

A) Easily automated

B) Exim's mainlog is not the best place to look

Where you want to grep is in the *MLM* logs and/or archives.

There will be far few entries to scan, as you start with only the
specific list and time-frame in question, not all traffic in both
directions.

> Being able to obfuscate, or easily encrypt on send and decrypt on receive
> would save a great deal of time.

Not an Exim issue.

Work with your MLM software. It can easily add recipient-unique and
poster-unique 'fingerprints' - coded or otherwise - that will almost
certainly survive redaction.

Not limited to placement in headers. Message-body head and foot add-ins
work too.

> It also makes staying whitelisted easier,
> and my servers staying whitelisted is very important to me.

If you are getting blacklisted (or de-whitelisted) it is the
maintainer/user/abuser of the particular list in question you need to
'educate'.

And of course, insuring that the lists are configured to prevent
outsiders posting spam.

The real-time 'QC' copies you get of activity for every list you host
should keep you well ahead of all that before you have a need to de-code
an AOL report.

If you are NOT seeing copies of posts, errors, moderation, sub/unsub and
confirmations, then your 'VIP' list is not getting as much attention as
the average university, social club, or other 'volunteer-operated' list.

Nursemaiding an MLM is not a 'fire and forget' business.

Bill