Re: [exim] Is it posible to copy the original rcpt to to a m…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Oliver von Bueren, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is it posible to copy the original rcpt to to a message header?

--On 2 October 2008 23:52:57 +0200 Oliver von Bueren <maillist@???>
wrote:

> On the transport add the keywords envelope_to_add and return_path_add
> to accomplish this. From the documentation you have the following example:

Please don't do this. It will put all the recipients into the header,
including Bcc recipients.

That's explicitly discourage in the RFCs (eg, section 7.2 of rfc5321, which
replaced 2821 yesterday), because it risks revealing private information:
"Especially when more than one RCPT command is present...SMTP clients and
servers SHOULD NOT copy the full set of RCPT command arguments into the
header section"

If you are going to do it, you should have a two stage process. The first
should split the message for single recipients, and the second should use
envelope_to_add. Again, in section 7.2: "sending SMTP systems that are
aware of "bcc" use MAY find it helpful to send each blind copy as a
separate message transaction containing only a single RCPT command".

You could achieve the latter with a router that routes back to your server,
using

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex