Re: [exim] Sender address against authenticated_id?

Author: Dave Lugo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender address against authenticated_id?
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Björn Keil wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to figure best, that an authenticated_id
> somehow fits to whatever sender is given in the envelop of a mail. What I
> find confusing about it is firstly AUTH Parameter in the MAIL command seems
> to possibly contain a different email address than given in the FROM. The
> example from the Exim Guide[1] on Page 287 is
>
> MAIL FROM:<theboss@???> AUTH=joker@???
>
> If this is set by the sender of the mail and not added by exim, does exim
> somehow verify this?

I use:

  deny     sender_domains = +accepted_here_domains
           authenticated  = *
           condition      = ${if eq {$authenticated_id}{${lc:$sender_address}}\
                             {no}{yes}}
           message         = rejected: You must send as the ID you authenticate with.

(sender domains is likely not needed in your config, I added
it for some reason here)

> Secondly I am notquite sure how to deal with aliases... for example, several
> users may be allowed to respond for webmaster or for postmaster or root. If
> Id simply say a user may only use whatever email address is given in
> /etc/email-addresses that may be extremely limiting.

But, wouldn't they still reply as their 'real' account? Otherwise,
just have their MUA use a different sending profile(s) that they can
select to send as web/post/whatever.

> Isn't it normal to check for this, somehow? If it is configured in default
> Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) configuration I must have missed in by now.
> The version I use is 4.63 out of Debian Etch with the matching config
> package.

For debian specific info, it's best to ask on the debian exim list: