Re: [exim] Saslauthd problem with exim

Author: Mirko S.
To: exim-users, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Saslauthd problem with exim
Phil Pennock schrieb:

> Right, so you have a PAM auth error, so look in your system logs for the
> PAM failure and see what reason it gets. Look in wherever
> /etc/syslog.conf (or whatever your logging system uses) for where
> LOG_AUTH messages go. It seems that your saslauthd is configured to use
> a PAM backend and that is refusing the authentication.

The only file that
1) is listed in /etc/syslog.conf and
2) has saslauthd-related stuff in it
is /var/log/messages. It says:

Sep 28 09:50:33 myhost PAM-warn[9488]: function=[pam_sm_authenticate]
service=[] terminal=[<unknown>] user=[myuser] ruser=[<unknown>]
rhost=[<unknown>]
Sep 28 09:50:33 myhost saslauthd[9488]: DEBUG: auth_pam:
pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
Sep 28 09:50:33 myhost saslauthd[9488]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=myuser] [service=] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]

I can't get any further information from this :P - Perhaps you can.
Again, the output is independent of the username and password string I
enter.

> Hopefully your OS packages testsaslauthd with saslauthd, which will let
> you directly test that saslauthd is configured correctly.

myhost:~ # testsaslauthd -u myuser -p correctpw
0: OK "Success."
myhost:~ # testsaslauthd -u myuser -p wrongpw
0: NO "authentication failed"

Sounds ok - So where is the problem?

> [ Some stuff about temporary failures ]

Ok, thanks a lot. I will tell my users, this problem should be solved,
and if they experienced no further problems I forget about it ;)

> [ SNIP the SpamAssassin stuff, which I don't use and we're hoping
> someone else on the list chimes in ]

I think I will do a fork for this problem. I don't believe, others read
all this stuff :P

>> Hehe - I think I wanted to write "those" - but, in dead, "these" sounds
>> better :P
>
> In death, only vampires are listening. Indeed, English is a weird
> language.

*argh* - no more comments :P

> -Phil

Mirko