Re: [exim] Different problems with exim (-52)

Author: Mirko S.
To: exim-users, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Different problems with exim (-52)
Hi Phil, hi list,

first of all: Thank you very much for your reply. I'm sorry, I couldn't
have answered earlier, but I had had to wait for weekend, before
destroying the mail server ;)

Phil Pennock schrieb:
> On 2008-09-20 at 13:03 +0200, Mirko S. wrote:
>> 1. SMTP-Authentication. (via saslauthd)
>>

> su to the exim user account,

I'm not sure, if this did do, what it should:
myhost:~ # su exim
myhost:~ # whoami
root

But $PATH has changed it's value...

At all it doesn't work for root, too ;)

> run "exim -d -be" and in the string
> expansion interactive prompt, try using saslauthd{} there. Log messages
> and errors will all be shown to you.

It doesn't make any difference, whatever I replace "myuser" and
"password" in the following input by:
myhost:~ # /usr/exim/bin/exim -be -d+auth+expand
[some output]
Authenticators: cyrus_sasl plaintext
[more output]
> ${if saslauthd{{myuser}{password}}{1}{0}}

expanding: myuser
result: myuser
expanding: password
result: password
Running saslauthd authentication for user "myuser"
saslauthd userid='myuser' servicename='' realm=''
Answer 'NO PAM auth error' received.
saslauthd: access denied (NO PAM auth error)
condition: saslauthd{{myuser}{password}}
result: false
expanding: 1
result: 1
skipping: result is not used
expanding: 0
result: 0
expanding: ${if saslauthd{{myuser}{password}}{1}{0}}
result: 0
0

>> 2. Temporary failures.
>> a) More retries.
> Yes. The default configuration includes a line like:
> * * F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

If it did this, it would be ok ;)

> You need to either start queue-runners from cron or have the Exim daemon
> launch queue-runners (which is the normal way). Eg, "exim -bd -q15m"
> will have the daemon launch queue-runners every 15 minutes. -q2m for
> every two minutes, -q1d for once per day, etc.

Ok, I ran exim just with -bd option - Now I put a -q5m at the end. I
hope it's correct now. But I don't know, how to check that. You have any
idea?

>> b) Information for the sender. Can I tell exim to send a mail back to
>> sender, if it doesn't work for e.g. 1h with a content like "I couldn't
>> send your mail for 60 minutes, but I will keep trying". And after a
>> successfull transmit I'd like to get a mail like "I did it, finally!"
>
> The delayed notification normally happens after 24hrs. Look at the
> delay_warning option. There is no support for success notifications.

I couldn't find this is the documentation, so I just tried. When I put
the following line before the first "begin" keyword exim comes up
without any errors, so I hope, it was correct ;)

delay_warning = 1h:3h:5h:8h:12h:24h:48h

Will this do the job? And again: How can I check?

>> 3. Spamassassin. I use spamassassin for checking mails, which works fine
>> most of the time. But sometimes spamassassin seams to be down, so that
>> exim can't connect to it. My Questions:
>> a) Does somebody have any idea, what the problem could be?
>
> Your logs probably do. Unless you've disabled Spam-Assassin's logs.
> What do the logs say?

The log files tell me, that spamd doesn't get a database lock, because
the lockfile already exists. Sometimes this is just for one mail, but
sometimes it is for a longer time. Are there other programs that need
this database lock? And do you have any idea, how I can prevent this?

>> b) Can I make exim retry connecting to spamassassin before transmitting
>> the (spam)mail unscanned?
>
> Pass (I don't use SA and I'm tired).

Is there perhaps somebody else on this list, who has an idea?

>> 4. Autoreplay. Can I make exim automatically send replies to the sender
>> of mails, if the recpient is on holidays? And what would be the best way
>> to make this configurable by the users (I don't want to open the
>> exim.conf any time, somebody goes on holidays :P )?

Thank you very much - seems to work fine. I think I should play with it
a little and write some script and that it will work ;)

>> If you need more information just feel free to ask. If you don't
>> understand what I mean, you may also ask. I know, that there are people
>> who speak a better English than me :P
>
> Your English is just fine. A couple of typographic errors but the only
> thing which made me pause was "thows" -- I think you meant "these".
> (I'm not entirely sure).

Hehe - I think I wanted to write "those" - but, in dead, "these" sounds
better :P

> -Phil

Thanks again, Mirko