Re: [exim] Opposing RFCs ? - Case In/Sensitive AUTH SASL Met…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Nicola Tiling
CC: Exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] off-list Re: Opposing RFCs ? - Case In/Sensitive AUTH SASLMethode
Subject: Re: [exim] Opposing RFCs ? - Case In/Sensitive AUTH SASL Methode
On 2008-09-26 at 12:17 +0200, Nicola Tiling wrote:
> We have trouble with a program that uses a microsoft mail routine. It
> sends the SASL auth Parameter in lower case but exim only allow upper
> case
>
>     AUTH login
>     503 AUTH LOGIN or AUTH PLAIN OR AUTH CRAM-MD5 OR AUTH MSN is REQUIRED

>     AUTH LOGIN
>     334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

> Exim refer to RFC 2222 (Manual: "33.1. Generic options for
> authenticators" / "public_name") but it seems RFC 2222 and RFC 2554
> are opposite at this point.

Exim actually states:
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
This option specifies the name of the authentication mechanism that the driver
implements, and by which it is known to the outside world. These names should
contain only upper case letters, digits, underscores, and hyphens (RFC 2222),
but Exim in fact matches them caselessly. If public_name is not set, it
defaults to the driver's instance name.
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

So in configuring Exim, use upper-case, but Exim should match anyway.

However, the "is REQUIRED" message doesn't come from Exim. Simply put,
recursively grepping for REQUIRED over the Exim source returns only 11
lines and none of them are an error-message.

Exim doesn't offer AUTH MSN, unless that's coming from a cyrus_sasl
driver?

So I think that the server the client is talking to is not Exim; perhaps
some proxy?

If you're sure it is talking to Exim, can you run Exim with debugging
and see what logs you can collect?

-Phil