Re: [exim] One way SMTP port

Author: Steve Dobson
To: Rémy Sanchez
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] One way SMTP port
Hi Rémy

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 11:00 +0200, Rémy Sanchez wrote:
> I want to set up a mail server (only to manage mailing lists) on a
> server whose network is provided by the university (I'm a student).
> The problem is that they (= university's sysadmins) only want to open
> the incoming SMTP port, they want us to use their SMTP server to send
> mails. My question is : can exim work properly if it can not open
> connections through the SMTP port, but only receive incoming
> connections (and use an external SMTP server as relay for sending
> mails).

If I read this right remote users will be allowed to connect to your
server to send posts to it, but any replies or posts your server wishes
to send have to go via the university's SMTP servers.

This is not an unusual set-up. The university's systems are called
SMARTHOSTS and it is their task to route e-mail on to it's final
destination. I expect they'll also be checking for spam too so the
university doesn't get a bad name - not unreasonable these days.

Here is an example of a such an outbound routing set-up:

begin routers
    .
    .
    .
notlocal:
  driver     = manualroute
  domains    = ! +local_domains
  transport  = remote_smtp
  route_list = * smarthost.example.com bydns

begin transports

remote_smtp:
driver = smtp

Obviously "smarthost.example.com" needs to be replaced by the servers
given to you by the university.

Hope this helps.

Steve
--
Steve Dobson

Fine day to work off excess energy. Steal something heavy.