Re: [exim] Is the Exchange 2007 Edge Transport Server requir…

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Matthew Newton
To: Conrad Lawes
CC: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Is the Exchange 2007 Edge Transport Server required?
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:00:29PM -0400, Conrad Lawes wrote:
> My employer is planning on migrating from Sendmail (Linux) to Exchange
> 2007. We also have an SMTP gateway server running the Exim 4 (Linux). This
> gateway server also does spam filtering (Spamassassin) and virus blocking
> (Clam-AV) and does it quite well.
>
> As I understand it, the primary role of the Exchange 2007 edge transport
> server is for spam and virus filtering and smtp gatewaying. Since these
> roles are already being performed by the Exim server, do we really need a
> separate edge transport server?

We use Exim mail gateways to do the virus/spam checking, which
then feed into internal-only Exchange servers (amongst other
servers, depending on where a users mailbox is).

This setup works well.

You may need an internal-only domain for mail routing within
Exchange, which will need to be rewritten on the way out by the
Exim servers. I guess if you only have one internal Exchange
infrastructure, you might be able to do without this.

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4@???>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <ithelp@???>