Re: [exim] Problems mitigating joe job

Author: Matthew Newton
To: Ryan Thompson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problems mitigating joe job
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:17:37AM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> One of my email domains has recently been the (repeat) victim of a fairly
> large-scale joe job. I am seeing thousands of back-scatter bounces for
> addresses like fox1@???, fox2@???, etc. However, when this

> What is the best way to handle this? General or specific answers gratefully
> accepted!

I've configured BATV here. If any users get this problem then I
can enable it for them specifically. Any bounces for mails they
sent in the last few days will be lost, of course, but from then
on they are protected - bounces for non-locally generated e-mails
will be rejected at SMTP time.

I'd turn it on globally if it weren't for some nasty mailing list
software out there that uses the return path as the subscribe
address. :-(

It is fairly easy to add support in Exim - see, for example,
http://www.mail-archive.com/exim-users@exim.org/msg09242.html

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4@???>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <ithelp@???>