[exim-dev] WG: Feature Request: Advanced Logging

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Florian Lagg
To: exim-dev+pdp
CC: exim-dev
Oggetto: [exim-dev] WG: Feature Request: Advanced Logging
> > - Problems with log rotating
>
> Embed the date in Exim's logfile names and do the compression
> yourself, on suitably old files.
>
> log_file_path = /var/log/exim/%slog-%D

Good idea. This way this issue could be handled with a simple cron job
running every night.

> > - the regexp must be tested very well to log any mail
> > incoming/outgoing - no matter how the log line looks like. but it
> > should not log other lines to save disk space. That will be hard.
>
> Not that hard, since Exim clearly defines, in the
> documentation, what the log lines look like and which options
> affect them.
>
> exigrep is a utility bundled with Exim which shows some of
> what can be done.

I dont know if exigrep is the right for this - I only want single lines for
every sending and receiving mail. Correct me if I'm wrong - exigrep outputs
all lines related to these messages, right?
So we should use grep?

> > Is someone interested in implementing it? I cannot code it
> because I
> > do not have the time to start digging in the exim code.
> > But I CAN help with testing and documentation.
>
> Someone else might be interested; myself, I'd be more
> inclined, if doing this, to ask for a precise specification
> of exactly what data is to be retained and then provide a
> exilogcompact script with Exim as a demonstration of parsing
> the logfiles and producing something more condensed. And
> modify exicyclog to optionally (depending upon
> Local/Makefile) call that script to generate the longer-term
> retention logfile before compressing away the one it's looking at now.
>
> Given a specification to work to, I might be willing to
> write/modify the
> script(s) to handle this.
>
> -Phil

Thanks a lot.

I need log lines including:
* Every Message-ID
* Date/time the message is sent or received
* Where do we have the message from
* Where does the message go

See these lines as an example what is needed for one message:
2008-09-18 07:49:43 1KgCOX-0000ET-Ha <= anonymous@???
H=mail.wktirol.at [80.122.91.179] P=esmtp S=148302
id=5C7442F267DA8E4F8DCEF70DF37428904F9208@???
2008-09-18 07:49:43 1KgCOX-0000ET-Ha => exim-user <foo@???> R=local_user
T=maildir_home

After deeper looking at these entries it could be enough to search for the
patterns "<=" and "=>" - right?

Yours

--
Florian Lagg