Re: [exim] bounce rules

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Searcher, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] bounce rules

--On 5 September 2008 11:19:35 +0200 Searcher <searcher@???> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Does anyone know of an MTA or exim settings affecting bounce rules for
> different emails?
>
> Say I am sending an email to no.bounce@??? and I want my MTA to
> attempt the delivery only ONCE. In case the email has been bounced back
> discard that particular email from the queue and move on. All other emails
> on the system should use the default resending options.
>
> An idea (cron */1): exiqgrep -s no.bounce@??? -i | xargs exim -Mrm
>
> Is it possible?
> Thanks
>
> -src-

You can look at the retry configuration rules. Chapter 32 of the docs
includes this example:

* rcpt_4xx senders=: F,1h,30m

"senders=:" means the sender is null - a bounce message.
"*" means all recipients, you could replace that with
"no.bounce@???" or a regular expression.
"rcpt_4xx" could be omitted if you don't care what the error is. However,
it would be a shame to fail to notify someone simply because their server
was unavailable for a few minutes. You might want to match "mail_4xx", too.
"F,1h,30m" means retry at 30 minute intervals for one hour. I suppose you'd
get three delivery attempts. You might like to replace that with
"F,45m,30m" or even "F,20m,30m", for one or zero retries.

I've not tested any of this, and don't use these configurations - so beware!

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex