[exim] Weird HUP failures.

Autor: Steve Devine
A: exim users
Assumpte: [exim] Weird HUP failures.
We run a slightly hacked version of exim (Version 4.63) that does mysql
lookups and extracts home dir info from a mysql db. This has worked for
many years. I am trying to get it running on a Suse 10.3 x86_64 box.

It actually runs fine and does as it should in all respects except I can
not HUP it. It will stop and restart just fine. On HUP however it crashes.
This is in the logs:
Failed to get user name for uid 1006
User 1006 is courier and its in the /etc/passwd file. I know its running
as courier because thats who owns the exim log files and its writing to
those OK.

The code thats generating this is in exim.c
if (originator_login == NULL || running_in_test_harness)
  {
  if (unknown_login != NULL)
    {
    originator_login = expand_string(unknown_login);
    if (originator_name == NULL && unknown_username != NULL)
      originator_name = expand_string(unknown_username);
    if (originator_name == NULL) originator_name = US"";
    }
   if (originator_login == NULL)
     log_write(0, LOG_MAIN|LOG_PANIC_DIE, "Failed to get user name for
uid %d",
     (int)real_uid);
}
***************************************
I think its looking in the sql db for 1006 and gaaking when it does not
find it.  If so then it is my problem to solve.
My question for this list is whats the diff between originator_login and
originator_name ?
Why does it start ok however but will not HUP?
And have any of you seen this before?

We use the HUP command for log rotation so I would like to continue
using it.

Thanks all.

--
Steve Devine
Email & Storage

313 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra