Re: [exim-dev] Delivering message to Exim via SMTPS with LF …

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Steven Chamberlain
To: Renaud Allard
CC: Exim-dev
題目: Re: [exim-dev] Delivering message to Exim via SMTPS with LF instead of CRLF, breaks DK validator
Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Renaud Allard wrote:
>> Is this really a bug considering RFC2821 says:
>>
>> 2.3.7 Lines
>>
>> SMTP commands and, unless altered by a service extension, message
>> data, are transmitted in "lines". Lines consist of zero or more data
>> characters terminated by the sequence ASCII character "CR" (hex
>> value 0D) followed immediately by ASCII character "LF" (hex value
>> 0A). This termination sequence is denoted as <CRLF> in this document.
>
> I understand that mail *should* (or MUST in RFC terms) be delivered with
> CRLF endings. But by abusing that rule I seem to be able to deliver
> messages which skip DK validation and pass otherwise unhindered, which
> seems to be a problem.

Hi,

I realise now how totally wrong I was in my previous post. Quoted was
RFC2821, which is about SMTP transfer, and that section relates to the
format of SMTP commands and not to the message data itself.

Though I still wonder if Exim contravenes the RFC by accepting the SMTP
commands which I sent with LF instead of CRLF line endings. Perhaps a
decision was made to allow LF line endings for SMTP commands (e.g. for
compatibility)?

Am I correct in my interpretation of RFC2822 that the message data
*should* be expected to have CRLF line endings but that bare LF line
endings are merely obsolete syntax which MUST be accepted?

If that is correct, then this is most likely still a bug in the DK
verifier. I notice the test cases for libdomainkeys use bare LF line
endings, so the bug would most likely reside in the Exim side.

Thanks,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@???