Re: [exim] Weird loads with maildir_use_size_file

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Gergely Nagy
題目: Re: [exim] Weird loads with maildir_use_size_file
Apologies for the late reply, took me a while to conduct a few more
tests, and been busy with other work as well, but here we go.

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 04:12:11PM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> I put up two reports (load, iostat, queue, ps ax) at
>> http://195.70.33.28/~algernon/exim-stuff/
>
> Quite interesting, because I fail to see what should drive the load up
> this far, too.
>
> But: The disk load is not spread well. sda/sdb get quite some write
> operations and might be a limit soon. The rest has a good distribution
> of ops. It might be interesting why the traffic is so different, but
> it is not a problem at this time and likely won't be for quite a while.

Most probably we'll fill the disks sooner.

>> There are quite a few exims stuck in D, indeed, as expected. The
>> question remains, though - why? Why is it taking that long to process a
>> maildir, when my quickly hacked up perl script finished even the largest
>> directory within 10 seconds (and most others in one).
>
> Are they stuck in processing maildirs? Try stracing them to see what
> exactly takes so long. That's most important to me.

As far as I see, yes, they're stuck in processing & updating the
maildirs. From what I've seen, we have a few users with stupidly large
directories, and it takes long seconds to even list them (long, as in
>30 seconds), even when the load is low (all services disabled, nothing

running at all, around 0.01 load).

Now, these particular users happen to receive a lot of mail during
daytime, and as far as I understand, the maildirsize files are opened
O_EXCL.

Since the mails arrive faster than exim is able to process the
directories, they get stuck waiting for the lock, bumping the load up to
the sky.

>> However, there's one idea I was thinking of: whether it is possible to
>> give a transport a timeout, so if it does not finish within N seconds,
>> it aborts, logs an error, and will get retried later on?
>
> Bad idea. The started transport will cause page faults and I/O ops for
> nothing if you abort it, thus increasing overall load.
>
> One thing that comes to mind: Did you separate the spool from the
> maildirs? That helps a lot.

Yes, I did. The spool is on a separate disk.

> Try putting a number of spool directories on
> single filesystems, no need to use RAID0/dm there, as Exim distributes the
> load evenly. If you experience a bad ops distribution on the maildirs,
> try creating the filesystem with a different group size, best one that
> is prime to the chunk size of the underlying RAID groups, to distribute
> group beginnings among all devices. That helps particularly with rather
> empty filesystems, as they fill, the problem disappears naturally.

At the moment, the pool is on raid aswell, but I'll give it a try without.

> And finally, not related with your system: Unless you have a good reason
> not to, use as large RAID stripes as you can, if you make use of the
> whole disk anyway. Split operations have a higher cost, and small stripes
> split them more often.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Gergely Nagy <gergely.nagy@???>