Re: [exim] dangerous remote redirects

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] dangerous remote redirects
Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:
> Hi again,
> so while fixing my router problem i found a quite full queue on a different
> machine as well.
> This time it's a redirect. A customer wants his mails redirected to another
> bigger ISP (t-online). The problem is that sometimes their spamfilter
> detects spam a little better then ours, so they reject the message. Then
> internaly exim bounces the message back to the original sender.
> Well, since bounces are just a bad idea anyway, this ends up in a bounce
> loop. meh.
> How can i tell exim to just silently delete messages that could not be
> delivered remotely? T-online does a great job at rejecting messages at smtp
> time, so it shouldnt be too much work to not bounce messages if t-online
> rejects it for beeing spam.
> any hints?

Search the manual for 'errors_to' if you do not mind manually checking
them periodically (or are allowed to send them to /dev/null/ hell).

So long as you do as good job of telling all-comers *during smtp* that
you are rejecting, there is no need to generate bleated or 'out of
session' bounces.

That's all well and good for a non-relaying host, but for your t-online
situation you do not have full control.

Ergo you should look at one of the several ways to insure you accept
proper bounces for messages you did, in fact, send, AND NOT forgeries or
backscatter.

Bill