Re: [exim] [OT] RAID (was: Re: Which hardware do you use for…

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Ward Vandewege
To: Christopher Meadors
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] [OT] RAID (was: Re: Which hardware do you use for yourinstallation?)
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:28:17AM -0400, Christopher Meadors wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:20 -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
>

> > ... and if you buy a spare hardware raid controller of *every type you have
> > in use*.
> >
> > That's the main disadvantage of hardware raid over software raid - if the
> > controller dies, you're dead in the water unless you have a spare that's
> > exactly the same type. With software raid, if the controller or box die, you
> > just stick the disks in another box and you're on your way.
>
> That depends on the controller, a lot of recent ones are using the Linux
> on-disk format. So if the controller fails you can just throw the disks
> in a Linux machine and still have access to your data.

Examples please. This is interesting. I've yet to encounter a hw-raid
controller that did not do proprietary - and model-specific - formatting of
its drives.

Thanks,
Ward.