[exim] [OT] RAID (was: Re: Which hardware do you use for you…

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Sander Smeenk
Para: exim-users
Tópicos Antigos: Re: [exim] Which hardware do you use for your installation?
Tópicos Novos: Re: [exim] [OT] RAID
Assunto: [exim] [OT] RAID (was: Re: Which hardware do you use for yourinstallation?)
Quoting Nigel Metheringham (nigel.metheringham@???):

> I have to say I am getting less convinced by RAID 1 on systems.

RAID at all for me, actually. I've seen it crumble down to a grinding
halt several times (using software raid, mdadm, that is). While it was
designed so that a disk could fail without the service being
interrupted, in my experience a disk failing will still make the system
unusable. Either because the kernel goes haywire trying to adress the
non-working device or mdadm making decisions causing the entire set to
go offline.

Especially mdadm setups where you combine RAID-0 and RAID-1 sets to
achieve RAID-10 tend to break when there's problems.

Still, recovery is easier as the set can rebuild or data can be
retrieved from just one disk from a set...

Regards,
-Sndr.