Re: [exim] Which hardware do you use for your installation?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Jeroen van Aart
Para: Exim Users List
Assunto: Re: [exim] Which hardware do you use for your installation?
Sander Smeenk wrote:

> Our mailsetup consists of about 8 separate clusters of servers sharing a
> common task dealing with mail ranging from incoming to imap servers.

Looks like a solid setup, as far as I can see.

> On the incoming end (mx) we now have about ~5 servers with a single AMD
> Opteron 2.8GHz Dual-Core CPU, 4G ram, and just one SATA-II disk as
> storage isn't important.

But why not use a raid1 instead of the one disk? It will increase
redundancy even more. Now I understand that in your load balanced setup
if one or a few servers' disks would die the system would still
function. But you would have to clone/recreate the system and bring it
back up. With a raid1 you would only have to replace the broken disk and
that's it (or if you had a hot spare you had to do nothing).

> total. Maildirs for the users are stored on NetApp filers.

Netapp uses NFS I assume? How well does it work with imap? As far as I
know using imap on anything but unix format mailboxes on a networked
filesystem like NFS can cause problems due to file locking and such.

> have their spool in memory and 'message logging' is turned off (-Mvl
> doesn't work).

I remember reading on here that having the spool in memory isn't such a
good idea, but I forgot the exact reasons.

> We call it SWAMP, short for 'Sendmail Wasn't an Acceptable Mail Product'.

;-)

Greetings,
Jeroen