Re: [exim] add_header question

Autor: Marc Perkel
A: Graeme Fowler
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] add_header question

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:46 +0100, Chris Edwards wrote:
>
>> What _doesn't_ work is writing a header in the DATA acl itself, prior to
>> the call to SA. The doesn't seem to be seen by SA.
>>

> This is expected behaviour, as documented here:
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTaddheadacl
>
> "The add_header modifier is permitted in the MAIL, RCPT, PREDATA, DATA,
> MIME, and non-SMTP ACLs (in other words, those that are concerned with
> receiving a message). The message must ultimately be accepted for
> add_header to have any significant effect."
>
> and
>
> "Header lines are not visible in string expansions until they are added
> to the message. It follows that header lines defined in the MAIL, RCPT,
> and predata ACLs are not visible until the DATA ACL and MIME ACLs are
> run. Similarly, header lines that are added by the DATA or MIME ACLs are
> not visible in those ACLs. Because of this restriction, you cannot use
> header lines as a way of passing data between (for example) the MAIL and
> RCPT ACLs."
>
> ...being the most relevant parts for Chris. And probably for Marc, too.
>
> Graeme

OK - in fact I did test it and it wasn't working. And that was the
reason I left the message. To see if I was doing something wrong or if
there was a bug.

Might I suggest that headers should be added to the message being passed
to spamassassin (although they don't have to be added to the message
itself until later) because it is useful for exim to be able to
communicate with SA in that way.