Re: [exim] Problems adding a header to a locally-originated …

Autor: Mike Brudenell
A: exim-user
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problems adding a header to a locally-originated message
DOH! [From somewhere nearby comes the sound of someone slapping their
forehead several times with a wet kipper.]

On 28 May 2008, at 20:15, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> 2008/5/28 Mike Brudenell <pmb1@???>:
>> I'm trying to add a header to a locally-originated (ie, not arriving
>> over TCP/IP) message but can't seem to get it to work. The relevant
>> ACL in my config file is the first one:
>>
>>  accept  hosts           = :
>>          add_header      = X-Test: VALUE

> That's almost certainly what you have in an ACL that deals with SMTP
> connections.

You're quite right: I had placed the above within the ACL

acl_smtp_rcpt = acl_check_rcpt

   acl_check_rcpt:
     ...blah...

(Forgive me for omitting mentioning that in my original message!)

I had clean forgotten this only applied to messages arriving over
SMTP, having fooled myself with the introductory comment for the above
"accept" line:

acl_check_rcpt:

# Accept if the source is local SMTP (i.e. not over TCP/IP). We do
this by
# testing for an empty sending host field.

   accept  hosts           = :

I had fixated on the "not over TCP/IP". :-(

> Since the message you're targetting doesn't arrive over
> SMTP, you need the logic somewhere else - have a look at
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECID189
> to find an appropriate ACL slot.

I've now added the directive to an "acl_not_smtp" ACL and all works
perfectly. Many thanks for the revelation!

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811 FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *