Re: [exim] Problems with manualroute

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problems with manualroute
german@??? wrote:
>> On 21/05/2008, german@??? <german@???> wrote:
>>> Now I face another problem.
>>> I updated to exim4 and now I got another problem: At the moment it is
>>> not
>>> possible to use fetchmail to get my mails from the server. Can anybody
>>> explain this?

*snip*

You said:

"not possible to use fetchmail to get my mails from the server"

Exim is an MTA. It 'listens' for traffic submitted to it from other
MTA's acting as submission critters on port 25.

Optionally (BCP) it also listens on port 587 for TLS authenticated
login, then submission FROM an MUA of its authorized user community.
FROM. Never TO.

Any such MUA may be doing message retrieval at the same time - but not
from Exim.

In any case, 'Fetchmail' is not even a (conventional) MUA.

It is (ordinarily) a batch-processing critter designed to make better
use of intermittent/infrequent or just-plain *costly* connections.
Historically, that meant dial-up, and often long-distance.

From the Fetchmail site FAQ:

"...It can collect mail using any variant of POP or IMAP ..."

Ergo, it should be pointed anywhere EXCEPT port 25.

E.G. - it can be run from an on-box terminal shell ELSE should attach to
one of the (several) POP or IMAP ports.

Which such port depends on what ports and protocols the POP and/or IMAP
daemon on your server (if any) is configured to support.

*Nothing to do with Exim* - or any other MTA.

So far.

Now, if you have problems *resending* the mail Fetchmail collects, that
is another matter.

But you haven't said that.

Bill