Re: [exim] exim outgoing only mail with backscatter protecti…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: W B Hacker
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] exim outgoing only mail with backscatter protection
David Favor wrote:
> I'm desiring to only use exim for outgoing mail.

So don't accept any.... though you should have some other MX published
that will handle postmaster@ for the domain you are sending from...

> It appears exim will only run in daemon mode if it's listening
> to port 25.

Exim listens to the IP(s) and port(s) you specify.

Or none at all.

> Let me know the best way to:
>
>     1) clear the queue (looks like exim should be run in cron every few minutes)

It has its own queue-runner settings. Man exim. I use 30 to 60 *seconds*
but that is a bit aggressive unless you are doing heavy mailing lists..

>     2) simple config to route queued mail for local host to port 25 for delivery

Messages departing exim for 'off-box' destinations don't leave on port 25.

Port 25 is where *other* MTA arrive to present their credentials when
they submit messages.

>     3) simple config to route all other queued mail to it's remote destinations

See the routers and transports near the end of ~/exim/configure.default

>     4) addition of a header 'token' to be used to guard against backscatter bounces,

Much more complex subject. Several methods in archives.

But if you have chosen not to receive on this box, it is the *other* box
where your 'postmaster@' is being handled that needs help w/r
'backscatter' management...

>        which must be generated randomly and saved in a SQLite database file for periodic
>        expiration (deletion)

Exim will read/write to/from whatever you give it access to, but SQLite
may not be the easiest way to convey that info to some other server.

> Since this seems like a fairly common setup,

It is a very small subset of a common setup.

Exim is more often a full-service MTA, or at least a smarthost/relay.

Not often used as an outbound-only critter, as that can be done with a
few lines of perl, tcl, ruby, python, <insert poison of choice>.

The hard work is in handling the incoming...

> I'll publish the exim.conf
> file when all this is working.

I'm biting my tongue now....

..didn't work..

Go and read a bit and you'll find all the conf info you need to do the do.

Mostly it is just turning OFF a few things OFF in the default configure
and/or never setting up the rest.

Most folks here HAVE working ~/exim/configure files...

> Thanks for your assistance.

Don't mention it... Please don't ...

;-)

Bill