Re: [exim] newbee problem !

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] newbee problem !
uffe wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have installed a exim 4.68 on a freebsd from ports, i have no idea about
> what to doo now, i have made some config but i can not recive mail to the
> server from outside accounts

Much reading of the Exim docs is suggested.

But there are important 'basics' you will need that are external to Exim:

To receive:

- a registered and published domain name with:

- a fixed 'public' IP for your server

- at least a published 'A' record, preferably also an 'MX' record in a
published DNS.

To send reliably:

- the above, plus a 'PTR' record in DNS.

- at least one 'self-signed' server cert (and key if not merged)

ELSE - configure your Exim MTA to send by connecting as a client to your
upstream (connectivity provider / ISP), generally over port 587 with TLS
authenticating with your assigned user-ID and password AND NOT their
port 25.

Unless you will send ONLY from on-box scripts when ssh'ed in or on the
console, you will ALSO need to configure Exim to present TLS service on
port 587 for use by your remote MUA when it wants to send.

You may need that even if you do not plan to send via Exim, as cron jobs
on a *BSD send out periodic reports. Though nothing breaks if they
cannot, you should be reading at least the daily security report.

Edit /etc/aliases to give it a place to send to..

Don't forget to edit Exim into /etc/mail/mailer.conf replacing the
default snedmail. Remember to disable sendmail...

... there are how-to's in docs..

> and I can not login to my mail accounts..

*Getting* any mail Exim has received for you needs either a shell
account, one or both of a POP or IMAP client, and/or a webmail daemon.

NONE of those logins are Exim's job. They are either system/shell,
webmail, or POP/IMAP.

Dovecot provides both POP/IMAP, is commonly used with Exim.
Courier-IMAP (which also includes POP) is another. There are many more,
but Dovecot seems to get the most mention the past few years, and does
play very nicely with Exim.

> Is there anybody that know what I am to do ?

Read (several) Fine Manuals. Seriously.

Read and understand /usr/local/etc/exim/configure.default until you are
comfortable creating /usr/local/etc/exim/configure

You will also need entries in /~/etc/rc.conf and ~/etc/rc.d

NB: The *BSD's are 'expert friendly' to dedicated professionals. They
are NOT 'user friendly' to hobbyists (or professionals with less
patience) in the apt-get or tick-the-box style of a Linux or Windows.

If you need that - then AFAIK, Mac OS X is your only low-cost Unix friend.

That said, the learning curve for a *BSD can be well worth the investment.

But investment it is. Pick a text-editor you can learn to love, 'coz
you'll spend a lot of time with it..

;-)

Bill