Re: [exim] From field with comma rewritten

Author: Konstantin Boyandin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] From field with comma rewritten
Hello,

2008/5/15 Christian Gregoire <cgregoir99@???>:
> When a message with a 'From:' header line contains a comma, like :
>    From: my, test <my@???>
> Sendmail rewrites it, prepending @domain_ name before the comma :
>    From: my@domain_ name, test <my@???>

> If the line is encoded beforehand by the SMTP client (quoted-printable,
> base64, ...), this rule does not apply. I noticed the same behaviour with Sendmail.
>
> Is there an explanation to this, and a way to deactivate it ? It's not
> about the MAIL FROM command, but the From: field.
>
> Thanks in advance.

If I am not mistaken, From/To/Cc address fields syntax states that
comma is a separator if not placed within quoted string (when multiple
addresses are present in the header field).

Thus, the MTA assumes there are two entries, "my" and "test
<my@???>" and appends the default domain name to the first entry.

All the best,

Konstantin