Re: [exim] ACL rewrite

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] ACL rewrite
Searcher wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> how would I go about an ACL SMTP time header rewrite?
> I need to check RCPT TO, that's not in the headers so can't use regular
> rewrite/31_exim4-config_rewriting
>
> Thanks
> -src-

At RCPT TO you don't yet have any headers....

Prior to DATA, all an smtp session has is a 'negotiation' situation.

Your MTA and the distant sender are introducing themselves, exchanging
credentials, describing what is available and what is wanted (connect,
helo, mail_from, rcpt_to).

Ever see two dogs meeting for the first time?

Much the same.

You can *prepare* headers to be substituted or appended later, and can
set flags to cause whatever you have prepped to be actioned. Or NOT.

But DATA is the earliest you are transferred the message and its headers
and attachments (if any).

That said, a flag, value, or string carried in an acl_m variable might
serve you better than header alteration.

Bill