Re: [exim] Greylisting - Chnging IPs

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Greylisting - Chnging IPs
Hello,

Renaud Allard <renaud@???> (So 11 Mai 2008 08:51:03 CEST):

> Some versions of MS exchange do strange things when receiving a 4xx
> error at the end of data. They just hide the message from the queue (you
> cannot even search for it, you will not find it) and the message is

Not only 4xx after end of data, it happens even if they get 4xx on
"RCPT TO".

> never retried. But if the server is rebooted (or any other thing
> restarting the MTA part) the message comes back into the queue. This is
> not often a problem as MS servers tend to be rebooted each week. The
> version of exchange doing this is 2003 but not all the times, it seems
> this is due to a combination of patch level in the OS and patch level in
> exchange itself. It is not trivial to reproduce but I have seen it
> happen more than once.

Same story :)
For german capable readers:

http://blogs.technet.com/dmelanchthon/archive/2007/07/19/probleme-mit-greylisting.aspx

(I keep telling these admins, that 4xx is part of real life in
transporting mails, not just some result of greylisting. But some of
them are stupid... - I experienced less problems with admins on the
sending side if I do not mention greylisting but just temporary problems
(file system locking, virus scanner updates, 1000 other excuses (except
greylisting))).

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -