Re: [exim] [OT] first mx has no A record

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: David Woodhouse
Para: Heiko Schlittermann
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] [OT] first mx has no A record
On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 09:47 +0200, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> Does exist some standard (RFC) saying that it's fatal mistake to have no
> A record for the first MX? (But such mistake can happen anytime - if my
> first MX is outside of my domain, and the MX-Admin decides to remove the
> relevant A record. Than I'd rely on my second/third MX.)

It certainly shouldn't be fatal -- and isn't necessarily even a mistake.
For a long time, the primary MX host for infradead.org was
'phoenix.ipv6.infradead.org', which as you might guess from the name
doesn't have an A record.

There were occasional reports of Postfix getting confused, deciding that
it actually resolved to 0.0.0.0 and thus to the local host, and failing
to deliver the mail -- but other than that, it was fine.

--
dwmw2