Re: [exim] X-Spam-Report for Clean messages

Author: Gordon
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] X-Spam-Report for Clean messages
> Not a problem. You have a number of available tools, some seldom used:
>
> 1) log_selector =
>
> lets you activate or supress various 'built-in' details - listed in docs.
>
> 2) log_message =
>
> activates when an acl triggers
>
> 3) logwrite =
>
> activates when an acl is traversed - triggered or not
>
> 4) adding a specifier as to *which* log, as in the use of :panic: below
>
>     logwrite  = :panic:,VRL,$sender_host_address,$tod_epoch

> Lets you put things into the log *you* choose, even if contrarian to
> inbuilt log assignment.
>
> N.B.
>
> In a 'healthy' Exim environment, the 'panic' log is the least used,
> hence not a bad place to do custom writes for cron'ed 'harvesting'.
>
> Other options include writes to other-than the bespoke logfiles or to
> SQL DB's, as in:
>
>    set acl_c19 = ${lookup pgsql{INSERT into ... <whatever>

> SQL brings its own set of overhead & 'challenges', responsibility to
> admin - but can be read-from or written-to from *anywhere* in Exim -
> main section thru acl's thru router/transport sets.
>
> HTH,
>
> Bill

Sent with even less detail... the list bounced the reply, sorry for
duplicates...

Thank you!

4) adding a specifier as to *which* log, as in the use of :panic: below

      logwrite  = :panic:,VRL,$sender_host_address,$tod_epoch

Lets you put things into the log *you* choose, even if contrarian to
inbuilt log assignment.

Works with two caveats, and a question.

Question the VRL in the example, I can not find any detail so I assume
it is simple text...

1)
I got excited about choosing my own log and only succeed in logging to
panic.log When I choose from defined exim logs it works as expected.

...:saheaders: and :/var/log/exim/saheaders: both failed...

Success logging to reject.log, some messages may not in fact be rejects
but... If I put the messages in main.log my logwatch scripts will never
finish. As it stands they take up to 12 hours to run now.

2)
I have not weighed the impact of this yet, but I am leaning towards
leaving it as is...

logwrite        =:reject:X-Spam-Score: $spam_score, X-Spam-Report:
$spam_report

is writing the entire entry on a single line. Useful for grep, not so
useful for reading.