Re: [exim] exim 4.63 SMTP listener keeping log file open for…

Author: Sander Smeenk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.63 SMTP listener keeping log file open for days
Quoting Tony Finch (dot@???):

> Well it looks like I have a live one, and it looks rather broken - some
> kind of deadlock, possibly signal related? It's a bit mysterious.

I'm also seeing what Marc posted. I'm 100% certain pid 10309 is my master
process and running lsof also produces:

| exim4   10309 Debian-exim   10w   REG     9,2  714262  24068181
| /var/log/exim4/mainlog.1 (deleted)

Yet, i do get correct loglines in /var/log/exim4/mainlog and the whole
system seems to function just perfectly well.

Now i wonder, does this listenerprocess log anything at all? :)
I haven't looked at the source yet, but i tend to think only the
children log to the 'current' mainlog. Also, my logrotate.d/exim4-base
does not have any postrotate script to reload the daemon...

Looks to me like some open()-call, which the master process does to see
if the logs are writeable, didn't get closed properly. Funny thing
is, when i restart Exim and check proc/pid/fd there's no logfiles.

Weird.

-Sndr.