Re: [exim] "550 relay not permitted"

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Peleg Michaeli
To: Martin A. Brooks
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] "550 relay not permitted"
Thanks for your reply!

I am sorry, but I should've been more clear, probably.

My domain name is *not* domain.org, I just wrote it in order to
generalize... I am not sure why.

Anyway, I will answer inside the text:

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 00:55 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Peleg Michaeli wrote:
> > I can't find my way in the documentation regarding one major issue;
> > whenever I send mail to test@???, which is just one of my
> > mailman lists, or even to peleg@???, which should be one of the
> > main email addresses ("domain.org" is my local domain), I get "host
> > lists.domain.org [67.18.186.248]: 550 relay not permitted" (in the first
> > case) or "host mail.domain.org [67.18.186.248]: 550 relay not permitted"
> > in the second case.
>
> It appears that 67.18.186.248 is not configured to be a relay for you.
> Either you're connecting from the wrong IP range, or without sufficient
> user credentials.

Well... 67.18.186.248 is indeed my IP address.
My *real* domains (didn't try to hide, just not to confuse... I am
sorry, I take it back...) are yogiley.org and lists.yogiley.org.

While trying to fix the issue, I have edited /etc/hosts, and added the
lines:
67.18.186.248    yogiley.org www.yogiley.org
67.18.186.248    mail.yogiley.org
67.18.186.248    lists.yogiley.org

but nothing has changed.

You say that "67.18.186.248" is not configured to be a relay for me;
well, it's the server's ip, not a remote ip, so I thought that as an IP,
it is automatically configured to be a relay, and what I have to
configure additionally to that is domain names, "local domains".

++++

I have tried to do what Marc Haber suggested, and here are the results:

# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
I have chose to split configuration (because mailman's debian's docs
suggested it)
I have chose "internet site"
as a mail name, I have written yogiley.org
on "IP-addresses to listen on for incoming SMTP connections" I have left
empty
on "Other destinations for which mail is accepted" I wrote
"debi.yogiley.org;lists.yogiley.org;yogiley.org"
Then it asks for "Domains to relay mail for", but calrifies: "Do not
mention local domains here", so I have left it empty; I have no "remote"
domains which are relevant.
Then it asks for "Machines to relay mail for", but clarifies: "If this
system should not be a smarthost for any other host, leave this list
blank", so I have left it blank.
In "dial-on-demand" I have chose no.
On "Delivery method for local mail" I have chose mbox format
in /var/mail/

Then it has restarted the service.

++++

One word about mailman: I have read carefully README.Exim4.Debian, and
added a few conf files in conf.d, as needed.

++++

After reconfiguring as Marc advised, sending mails to peleg@???
started to work; I don't get any error message, and I can read the mails
using "mail" command from shell (when I am logged as "peleg").
When I am sending mails to "test7@???", though, I get a
new error, which is "550 Unrouteable address".

When I have tried "exim4 -by test7@???" I got this
resonse:
R: system_aliases for test7@???
LOG: MAIN PANIC
failed to expand condition "${lookup{$local_part@
$domain}lsearch{/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman}{1}{0}}" for
mailman_router router: failed to
open /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman for linear search: No such
file or directory
test7@??? is undeliverable:
Unrouteable address

Indeed, I don't have a file named
"/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman" - I couldn't find the name of
that file in mailman's docs, either, besides in the place that says that
I have to write it in /etc/exim4/conf.d/router/970_local_mailman), and
in mailman-postfix docs (which are not relevant, I guess)

So here I stay clueless...

++++

Marc also asked "what ends up in /var/lib/exim/config.autogenerated",
but I couldn't understand the question.

++++

Do you think I contact use pkg-exim4-users@???
instead of that list?