Re: [exim] exim 4.63 SMTP listener keeping log file open for…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.63 SMTP listener keeping log file open for days
On Fri, 2 May 2008 12:26:35 +0100, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
>On Fri, 2 May 2008, Marc Haber wrote:
>> one Debian exim user reports (see http://bugs.debian.org/476958) that
>> his exim SMTP listener process (the one running with -bd -q30m) keeps
>> /var/log/exim/mainlog open for days after log rotation:
>>
>> |# ps auxww | grep [4]349
>> |102       4349  0.0  0.2  11756  2884 ?        Ss   Apr26   0:01 /usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -q30m
>> |# lsof -p 4349
>> |COMMAND  PID        USER   FD   TYPE   DEVICE    SIZE   NODE NAME
>> |[snippage]
>> |exim4   4349 Debian-exim    6w   REG      3,5  184728    128 /var/log/exim4/mainlog.1 (deleted)

>Is that pid actually the parent listening process?

How can I make the user find out? Is there any possibility that there
are more than one exim process with -bd -q30m around?

Inside the [snippage], I snipped a line saying
|exim4   4349 Debian-exim    3u  IPv4 10856266            TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
(which I had better left in).

>Is there proof that
>that log file was rotated days ago?

Other than the user claiming to not having messed with the logs, and
Debian rotating the logs on a daily basis by default, no.

>> I therefore strongly suspect that this is a local issue on the system
>> of the bug reporter, but since exim is documented to close the log
>> immediately after writing to it, which situation could lead to the log
>> kept open for this excessive amount of time?
>
>Well the code in the daemon is careful to close the logs so I can't see
>how this can happen.

A pity, I'd love to find out what happens here.

Greetings
Marc