Re: [exim] Rotating SMTP Outgoing IP addresses - SOLUTION

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Marc Perkel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Marc Haber
Kopio: Exim Users List
Aihe: Re: [exim] Rotating SMTP Outgoing IP addresses - SOLUTION

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:49:39 -0700, Marc Perkel <marc@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Most of the rate limiting is based on slowing down spammers. My
>> situation is different. Because I do front end spam filtering.instead of
>> their email coming from everywhere all of it comes from one place - me.
>> So when I get rate limited my customers who get their email from an ISP
>> that they don't control, complain of email delays. So I'm not the kind
>> of host that the rate limiting was intended to limit.
>>

> If you are running in your own customers' rate limit, I'd suggest that
> you talk to your customers so that they whitelist their service
> provider.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

That works some times but I often don't know it's happening and the
customer thinks my service is just slow. Sometimes the customer's ISP is
just braindead and they are using rate limiting as an anti-spam measure.

One of the unfortunate effects of using a front end spam filtering
service like mine is that all your incoming email comes from one IP
address. And I also do recipient verification which also counts as a
connection. And I often have multiple customers at the same ISP. Most
ISPs are good about removing rate limits but I have to know that it's
happening first to ask for it.

So the way I see it my purpose is legitimate and I'm doing everyone a
favor. The ISP doesn't have to put me in a white list. The customer gets
their email quicker. I look at it as getting around an unintended side
effect of their spam filtering. Just like google, hotmail, yahoo, etc.
use more than one IP for sending email. They would have the same problem
if they didn't.