Re: [exim] Log Messages

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Log Messages
Grant Peel wrote:
> Is there any way to insert messages into the log file (mainlog) from a
> router or transport?
>
> I have been tinkering with the 'debug_print' but do not want to run in -v
> mode.
>
> What I am specificaly looking to do is monitor the outgoing ip address
> (interface) that specific routers and transports are uing, but knowing how
> to add messages, log_write(s) or debug statements in routers and transports
> would be of great use.

I can't find a specific "official" method of doing this as there are no
logging abilities in that section of the email delivery.

There are a number of string expansions in the transport which you could
use to expand a string to cause a side effect.
Rig up some hideous thing either using ${run or ${readsocket to talk to
an external program that would dump the contents of the lookup you have
done on the command line/socket data.
Then make whole expansion ends up being the true or false that the
transport needs to operate normally.

"Hack" comes to mind ;)

Ted.