Re: [exim] Autoreplying when users have multiple alias-based…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Mike Brudenell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Autoreplying when users have multiple alias-basedaddresses
On 2008-04-18 at 09:01 +0100, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around what I need to do
> where... does anyone have any advice, pointers to useful pages or
> recipes to get me going?

You shouldn't need to do anything, it should work as you want by
default. But hey, "should" is why you test.

There will be some kind of redirect Router handling mapping role names
or full-names to the email account-name. After that, the Routers are
processed, in order, for the newly generated recipient address. Unless
you explicitly configure it to do otherwise, this starts again from the
first Router.

When the autoreply Router is met, it will match based upon the address
being routed, which will be the final address, so things should work,
but will appear to come from the accountname, rather than the role.

If you want to make the auto-reply come from the real-name address, then
things get more interesting; referring to $original_local_part is
potentially dangerous, if you have list expansions performed by Exim,
since then one recipient of the list can autoreply, appearing to come
from the list. But if you have no such list expansions (eg, everything
goes out to an external MLM and comes back into Exim afresh) then you
might carefully explore using the "from" autoreply transport option in
combination with $original_local_part@$original_domain.

-Phil