Re: [exim] No Blacklist DNS List

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Marc Perkel, Martin A. Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] No Blacklist DNS List

--On 17 April 2008 16:26:53 -0700 Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> For example, wellsfargo.com never sends spam.
> It's all good. So they are whitelisted by name. Any IP where the host
> ends in wellsfargo.com that send an email, I record the IP in my
> whitelist.

I think this statement was misunderstood, because it is ambiguous.

I hope you mean that if the reverse DNS entry for the sending IP address
ends in wellsfargo.com then you'll whitelist the address. If so, then this
could be a reasonable heuristic for automatic reputation building based on
sender IP address - not a bad thing.

If you meant something else by "the host ends in wellsfargo.com", then
there's a problem. I'm not sure what else you could mean by "host", though.

Martin's reply is irrelevant if I'm correct, because he didn't send from a
host with a name ending in wellsfargo.com - he just forged an email address
in that domain.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex