[exim] Autoreplying when users have multiple alias-based add…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Mike Brudenell
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: [exim] Autoreplying when users have multiple alias-based addresses
Greetings -

Can anyone give me any advice/pointers about using Exim's autoreply
transport to implement vacation-style responses when multiple
addresses map to an underlying e-mail address (eg, one or more aliases
point at the username)?

Currently our users have addresses of the form <username@???>
with a small number having aliases (to give role-based addresses) also
pointing at their underlying <username@???>

At the moment we are still using Sendmail and vacation on our mail
front-end machines, and a source of annoyance to our users is that
> address in the To/Cc header, but doesn't when the message is

arriving for their <aliasname@???> address (because vacation is
checking the real address appears somewhere in these headers).

I'm preparing to switch to Exim on the mail gateways and would dearly
like to be able to generate auroresponses when the incoming message is
has either the real e-mail address or one of its aliases in its To/Cc
headers. This is particularly important now as we're soon to start
offering the opportunity of registering a real-name based address
synonymous with a user's real address.

So potentially there are one or more aliases associated with an
underlying real <username@???> address...

I'm assuming I need to do an LDAP/database lookup somewhere during the
routing/transport stage to find the aliases that are associated with
the real address, and then checking whether any of these appear in the
To/Cc headers? (Or is there an easier trick given the recipient
address will have already been through the alias expansion process
within Exim?)

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around what I need to do
where... does anyone have any advice, pointers to useful pages or
recipes to get me going?

With many thanks,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811 FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *