Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Jeroen van Aart
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim
Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> Saying that exim is bad because it handles a nearly impossible situation
> in an almost-perfect way (as opposed to perfectly) seems rather silly to
> me.

I don't think I said exim is bad because of that, if anyone interpreted
it that way I am sorry (me using it should be proof enough I like exim).
I think it is, or at least can be, a bad idea to configure exim, or any
MTA, to use NFS for mailstore. The reasons of course lie outside the
scope of an MTA (and rightfully so) and therefore I would not fault an
MTA for not being able to work well with NFS.

> Exim can do Maildir and NFS; and it can even do mbox on NFS semi-safely.
> That's more than you can say for most other MTAs.

True, but I still think it's a bad idea, regardless how well an MTA
works around it. My point is, the mere fact software has to work around
flaws of a certain system proves that system (NFS in this case) is less
capable (to put it nicely) with regards to the specific functionality.

Best regards,
Jeroen