Re: [exim] Follow up to hole in bucket message

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Follow up to hole in bucket message
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Phil Chambers wrote:

| There is a spam-blocking scheme where you allow users to opt in or out of SMTP
| rejections. This is done by deferring at RCPT TO time any users who have opted
| differently from the first recipient. So, at DATA time you can to accept or
| reject all recipients which did not defer because they have all opted the same
| way. You expect the other recipients to arrive in a re-try later.
|
| Is this widely used? Are there any significant reasons for not doing it?

We've done exactly this since around 2003.

No problems reported.

Before then, we used a conservative but simplistic policy where if any
recipient opted to receive spam then recipients all would get the message.
There were quite a few reports of stuff slipping thru, which is why we
went for the defer policy as described above.