Re: [exim] Recieve mail using Dialup

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Hannibal Ndlovu
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recieve mail using Dialup
On 2008-04-12 at 21:57 +0200, Hannibal Ndlovu wrote:
> Thanks for both those replies @ Phil my ISP provides POP3 addresses that
> have my domain for example
> my ISP = myISP.com
> my address = me@???
> so the POP3 mail server for my ISP is = mail.myISP.com
>
> @ Phil could you post a copy of getmail config file?

It's not directly useful to you, since my email provider when I used
POP3 used a special POP3 called SDPS; (that provider was my former
employer, in fact); that setup had all email within a particular set of
domains fetched and passed on locally.

But here is my config anyway. Note that:

* Comment out "delete = on" until after you've debugged it.
* I think that I disabled delivered_to because it was redundant as
this will perhaps not be the case and so you should probably keep
this option turned on.
* The retriever section will be near-useless to you.
* You almost certainly do want to replace %(recipient) with the
known-local email address that you'll be using.
* Getmail comes with a few documentation files in both .txt and .html
which should be useful

-----------------8< cut here: ~/.getmail/getmailrc >8-------------------
[options]
delete = on
delivered_to = off
message_log_syslog = on

[retriever]
type = MultidropSDPSRetriever
server = pop3.demon.nl
username = example.demon.nl
password = super-secret

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/local/sbin/exim
# %(recipient) relies upon Exim treating all domains accepted by ISP as being
# local; mail loop possible if not careful. Can also consider using
# "%(local)@spodhuis.org" but then losing some information.
arguments = ("-oi", "-f", "%(sender)", "%(recipient)")
# delivered_to options parameter

The "-oi" option tells Exim to not stop reading input at a line
containing just a single dot. "-f <sender>" together supply the
original envelope sender.

-Phil