Re: [exim] AAAA Lookup despite primary_hostname being set in…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] AAAA Lookup despite primary_hostname being set in configuration
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:46:34 +0200, Tom Kistner <tom@???>
wrote:
>Marc Haber schrieb:
>
>> This is our default /etc/hosts:
>> |127.0.0.1      localhost.localdomain localhost
>> |127.0.1.1      myhost.localdomain myhost
>> |
>> |# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
>> |::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>> |fe00::0 ip6-localnet
>> |ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
>> |ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
>> |ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
>> |ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

>Does tweaking the ::1 line to say
>
>::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback myhost.localdomain myhost

>prevent asking the resolver for the quad-A?

Yes, but I remember funny things happening when we had

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myhost.localdomain myhost

so I suspect that that's going to happen with IPv6 as well.

>I don't know how /etc/hosts is supposed to work wrt to AAAA records, but
>that seems to be a logical resolution.

Yes, I asked that question in debian mailing lists and received the
usual "no, that's a hack, fix exim" answers. Do judge which approach
is the correct one I need to know why exim does these lookups even if
primary_hostname is set.

Greetings
Marc