[exim] Exim4 As Spam Filter but Authenticate external SMTP t…

Author: ocl discussins
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim4 As Spam Filter but Authenticate external SMTP to different instance
I hope this makes sense, so here it goes:

I am running 2 instances of Exim: eximFilter listening on port 25 on 1
server and eximMail listening on port 26 on a second server. eximMail is
configured such that the users, domains, and mailbox locations are stored in
a mySQL database. eximFilter simply uses a hubbed_hosts file to pass
everything through to eximMail. This is actually an oversimplification of
what is being done, but will serve the purpose for this discussion.

The problem is that external mail users (ie., users from home using mail
clients) need to be able to send mail through eximFilter, but must first
authenticate before sending. I don't want to duplicate my user listing on
eximFilter server, but am also thinking if I configure eximFilter to read
the mySQL database on eximMail it won't pass messages through as it should.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might handle this scenario?

tia!