Re: [pcre-dev] Searching a big file with PCRE

Author: Maël Hörz
To: ph10
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Searching a big file with PCRE
> Have you considered using pcre_dfa_exec() instead? It doesn't support
> all the features of pcre_exec(), but it is easier to use the partial
> matching features. See the section called "MULTI-SEGMENT MATCHING WITH
> pcre_dfa_exec()" in the pcrepartial man page.

Thanks for your answer. This pretty much looks like what I need, though
if I understood the documentation correctly the dfa-algorithm doesn't
support back references and capturing parentheses.

Is is possible to track the progress (to show in a progress bar) of
pcre_exec (not pcre_dfa_exec)? Because if it is, it might be possible to
implement a callback function that requests the parts of the subject
stream when they are needed, allowing to pass small chunks "on demand").
Even if progress tracking is not possible, would it be possible to add
such a callback-function facility that would be used to get the part
currently processed by pcre_exec?

Regards, Maël.