Re: [exim] [suggestion] shortening the html docs url

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Ted Cooper
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] [suggestion] shortening the html docs url
Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2008, at 02:53, Ted Cooper wrote:
>> Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>>> try
>>>     http://docs.exim.org/

>>> However you must remember that this IS NOT STABLE - the sublinks
>>> change with each release so if you quote a specific doc on a mailing
>>> list, it will change with the next release.
>> What would change? The # parts?
>

> Pretty much any of it...
> If we add a new introductory section then all the section numbering
> changes from then on. So if you link to documentation on the
> "do_what_i_mean" option then there is a good chance that come the next
> release that link will now go to the "ignore_what_i_say" option

Hmm.. so we really need something like

docs.exim.org/current/Introduction
docs.exim.org/current/String%20expansions
OR
docs.exim.org/current/introduction
docs.exim.org/current/stringexpansions

so it would stay the same regardless of the section numbering. That
sounds like a considerable amount of work both on the server side and
both preparing the documentation source and the program that writes it
all out. I know a wiki with rewrites would work but we already have one
of them and the docs are not meant to be edited constantly but stay
static for the version. (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki fits
the URL style perfectly when rewrites are turned on, darn it!)

I was going to look at the documentation source but I can't seem to find
it .. is the raw source just the .txt file? What converts it to the
other formats?

In the current manual, if someone decides to add a brand new section
called "Hamster Trimming" as chapter 2, do they have to go through the
entire file changing all the references?

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html